During his show introduction, Radio Joe announced the dates for RIA’s 2020 Virtual Conference. October 6-7. The conference theme is “FRAGMENTED Industry, No More! For more information and to register https://2020.restorationindustry.org/
Lew Harriman retired after a 44-year career in HVAC and building science.After 5 years in the Air Force, he worked for 10 years for a manufacturer of industrial dehumidification equipment. After that, he began 34 years as an independent consultant for humidity control IAQ and building forensic investigation.
These days he spends his time:
- Rehabbing of his woodworking shop (spoiling his grandchildren!!)
- Providing occasional informal advice on building moisture and Humidity problems.
- Volunteers as a consultant to the ASHRAE COVID-19 task force
- Annual webinars for ASHRAE – Humidity control
- Intermittent volunteer advisor to ASHRAE standards committees as they discuss implementation of new 60F dew point limit in cost-effective ways
Nuggets mined from today’s episode:
ASHRAE is not a typical organization. ASHRAE is all volunteer. Volunteers pay to: become members of the association, pay to attend conferences and then donate their time to update the 4-volume ASHRAE Handbook and updating ASHRAE Standards. According to Lew, it’s both fun and very rewarding to talk to association colleagues about problems, solutions and to reach consensus on best practices.
The US government does not fund ASHRAE.
In 2019 the ASHRAE website received 810K hits, Due to ASHRAE’s collection and organization of COVID19 info, the website received 550M hits during the first 4 months of 2020.