Closed Crawlspaces

Hey all. I'm putting this out there to get your opinions on closed crawlspaces. What to do? What not to do?

My current plan follows Design Sample 2 from Advance Energy. https://www.advancedenergy.org/portal/crawl_spaces/pdfs/Closed%20Crawl%20Spaces_Quick%20Reference.pdf

It is designed for the south-west, which is where I live. The crawl will be slightly sloped to one corner, where water can drain out if/when needed (capped when not needed). A small supply-side leak will provide a bit of pressure to the whole space. Walls insulated, good 10mm plastic vapor barrier. 

Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

You need to be a member of Building Performance Community to add comments!

Join Building Performance Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Scott

A number of years ago, David Hales (noted building science guy in the NW) took a long look at this subject. I hope you will find this document useful:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sou...

Eric

• A worthy topic!

Here are some observations on my DIY retrofit, based upon absolutely no actual science.

For reasons that could not be satisfactorily explained, the builder of my tract home insisted on a 6" supply duct, from the attic to the crawl space. The duct was discovered during an unsuccessful search for a way to drop a TV cable inside the home. I confirmed air flow by having my patient wife open and close the access hatch and with the central fan running, air motion was obvious when the hatch was open.

A figurative light bulb came on over my head and after closing and sealing all crawlspace vents, checking foundation wall insulation for soundness, installing a vent in the access hatch and rearranging the somewhat crumpled vapor barrier, I now am the proud owner of a considerably warmer floor and I presume, lower heat loss from through that area.

We are in the high, dry desert of Northern Nevada so moisture is not an issue.

While this application, as so professionally presented above, is an important addition to the new-construction toolbox, application to the massive existing home population also deserves consideration.

Now, how do we easily get that pesky supply duct into the crawlspace?

• I build raised conditioned floors in the southwest and cut the pad, place 4-6" of gravel with radon venting then R10 EPS. I then place a 20 mill vapor barrier across the whole surface with a mixed soil cement like dry pack to protect the surfaces this gives a excellent work surface. Water concerns are driven by the water table with wells at 150-450 ft water isn't the issue now that said on river bottom land and valleys investigate water table depth prior to build.Common sense and thought to what you build remember wet to dry is how to build. The crawl space is linked to living space and stays within 2 degrees of living space.

This reply was deleted.
John L Jorge liked Building Performance Association's blog post Announcing the National Home Performance Virtual Conference
yesterday
John L Jorge liked Building Performance Journal's blog post Our First Issue is Complete!
yesterday
Blue Valley Heating and Cooling and Blake Giesbrecht joined Building Performance Community
yesterday
Diane Chojnowski liked Leslie Jackson's blog post Ongoing Online Events, especially Training
Friday
Josie Pivec’s blog post was featured
This post complements our Field Notes newsletter, which features quarterly updates on CEE's research projects. Sign up for Field Notes to get this information in your inbox. Geotargeted Distributed Clean Energy InitiativeBackground: Non-wires altern…
Friday
Diane Chojnowski liked Josie Pivec's blog post Field Notes Spring 2020
Friday
Kristina Frunze posted a blog post
Coronavirus has gripped much of the world and particularly the United States, which experts are warning could become the disease’s new epicenter.This has prompted wide-reaching shutdowns of businesses deemed non-essential by federal and local author…
Friday
Scott Katznelson replied to Scott Katznelson's discussion Closed Crawlspaces
"Thanks. "
Friday
Eric Miller replied to Dav Camras's discussion Designing airflow in large low load homes
"Hi there
A suggestion that might be a bit outside-the-box: might this be a situation resolved by the old paddle bladed ceiling fan technology?
Eric"
Friday
Eric Miller replied to Scott Katznelson's discussion Closed Crawlspaces
"Scott
A number of years ago, David Hales (noted building science guy in the NW) took a long look at this subject. I hope you will find this document useful:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sou...
Eric
 "
Friday
Brett Little posted videos
Thursday
NKaplan commented on Building Performance Journal's blog post Our First Issue is Complete!
"This is great news! Congratulations! I really looked forward to getting the Home Energy Magazine and I'm equally exited to learn what's in this one. Thank you for moving forward!"
Thursday
More…