This webinar will provide an overview of Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs). ADUs are becoming a rapidly popular housing form in expensive housing markets in the US. This webinar will provide context for the powerful role that this housing form can play in addressing the affordable housing crisis and climate change. You’ll learn about the ADU Specialist designation (https://accessorydwellings.org/academy) and learn about additional resources that are intended to aid architects, builders, realtors, and real estate developers, who are seeking to incorporate ADUs into their business model.
Continuing Education Units (CEUS) 1 hour in
• LEED AP Homes
• Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI)
• Building Performance Institute (BPI) NonWholeHouse
• American Institute of Architects - AIA (HSW)
• Certified Green Professional (NARI & CGP)
• Certified GreenHome Professional (CGHP)
• State Architect / Builder License may be applicable
1. Review the basics of ADUs and how they fit in LEED BD+C V4 IN Prerequisite Preliminary Rating
2. Understand the ADU market: demographics, economics, and zoning and how those fit in a LEED BD+C V4 IN Prerequisite Preliminary Rating
3. Articulate Zoning barriers to ADU development
4. Review how ADUs are a form of green infill development that fits in LEED BD+C V4 Credit LT: Compact Development.
Sponsor: Mitsubishi Electric - https://www.mitsubishielectric.com/en...
Instructor: Kol Peterson is an ADU expert based in Portland, Oregon, who has helped catalyze the exponential growth of ADUs in Portland over the last decade through ADU advocacy, education, consulting, policy work, and entrepreneurship. He is the author of Backdoor Revolution-The Definitive Guide to ADU Development. He is the owner of Caravan- The Tiny House Hotel, the first tiny house hotel in the world, and organizer of Portland’s popular ADU Tour. He consults with homeowners about ADUs on their property, and teaches ADU classes for homeowners and for real estate agents in Oregon, Washington, and California. He edits and manages AccessoryDwellings.org and BuildinganADU.com. He is also the director of ADU Academy. Kol developed and lived in a detached new construction ADU in 2011, and developed a basement/garage conversion ADU in 2018. He has a masters degree in environmental planning from Harvard’s Graduate School of Design. Prior to his ADU work, Kol worked in the federal government for ten years in Washington, DC and Portland, Oregon.
Need CEUS? Access the quiz here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzlyksjjdf1...